Materials 101 | All You Need To Know On Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets
Our Materials 101 series takes you back to the basics and tells you everything you need to know about building materials used in Indian homes. In this edition, we give you a comprehensive picture of acrylic kitchen cabinets.
Are you hungry for a kitchen update? Does it seem dull with years and years of use? You can instantly brighten up the space and give it its much-needed face lift by simply adding acrylic kitchen cabinets.
A set of appetite-stimulating garnet hued acrylic cabinets lends vibrancy to this L-shaped kitchen. Focus lighting illuminating the hypnotic backsplash adds to the kitchen’s sheen.
What is acrylic?
Simply put, acrylic is a non-toxic finish that gives a perfectly smooth texture and a high-gloss appearance to kitchen cabinets. Available in a wide range of colors, this finish gives a resplendent, mirror-like semblance to your cooking space.
Soothing pine green acrylic kitchen cabinets stand out in this radiant, light-filled straight kitchen. The island finished in the same hue creates a cohesive look.
What are the types of acrylic kitchen cabinets?
Solid acrylic doors and acrylic faced doors are the two types of kitchen cabinet doors available in the market.
The former is priced higher as it is made of acrylic all the way through, meaning these doors have a richer and more even color appearance.
Acrylic faced doors are a less expensive alternative. The process of applying this acrylic finish to kitchen doors is an elaborate one with sheets of the finish being pasted on an MDF board. The sheets are then covered with a protective layer and sealed at the edges.
With a deft mix of powder white and cloud grey acrylic kitchen cabinets, this small kitchen looks larger than what it is. A lightly cerused backsplash complements the glossy cabinets.
Pros and cons of acrylic kitchen cabinets
Acrylic kitchen cabinets have taken over contemporary Indian kitchens by storm. But like every other finish, acrylic comes with its own set of pros and cons.
- Gives the kitchen an ultra glossy, inviting appearance when compared to a laminate or membrane finish
- Can take in a lot of wear and tear due to its hard wearing nature
- Available in a wide range of colors and so has scope for customization
- Retains hue and brightness for a considerable number of years.
- Moisture, UV light and scratch-resistant
- Can be easily cleaned with mild soap and water
- Offers brilliant textural contrast with a variety of backsplash materials
- Finger prints, dirt and stains are easily visible on the glossy surface and hence require regular cleaning.
- Considered a premium finish, acrylic is more expensive when compared to other finishes.
- Shading differences might occur when replacing kitchen cabinet doors of the same hue after years of use.
The kitchen is the hub of the house and it important that you choose the best finishes for your cabinets so that they remain in good condition for years to come. Laminate might have been the age-old favorite in Indian homes, but latest trends show that acrylic is slowly but steadily winning hearts.