Choose Between Matte and Glossy Finishes for Your Home Interiors
Whether you are renovating your home, repainting it or simply selecting accent pieces to decorate it, there is one question that hounds everyone: matte or gloss, which finish works better? Let’s avoid this bone of contention in your design process. Here we give you a simple guide on the pros and cons of using matte v/s glossy finishes at home. Read on to find out more.
Matter of Matte
Matte finish surfaces usually have a dull and lusterless surface, often roughened, as on metals, paint, paper or glass. Matte finished interiors are trending now and more people are opting for it. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of this type of finish.
Pros of Matte Finish
- Due to its muted appearance, imperfections such as scratches are less obvious and less visible
- Matte or flat finishes add richness to interiors because they diffuse light falling on surfaces
- Since there is no reflection of light, the colour consistency is increased, thereby making the colour appear smooth
Cons of Matte Finish
Yes, matte finished surfaces look rich and attractive but they do have their share of disadvantages:
- Matte surfaces do not reflect light but they absorb it. So, before you choose dark matte colours for your room, think! They might make your room look smaller.
- Matte finishes are not as smooth as their glossy counterparts. Therefore, it can be a tad bit difficult to clean it.
Go with Gloss
Glossy/high-gloss finish is a reflective or shiny surface that has a satin finish to it. Most modern urban homes have glossy interiors that look beautiful.
Pros of Glossy Finish
- Glossy finish surfaces reflect light, so they are great for smaller spaces. They make a space appear larger than it actually is
- These shiny surfaces are very smooth, making it easy to clean and maintain
- These finishes bring out the true colour of the material most of the time and add vibrancy to it
Cons of Glossy Surfaces
- Since glossy surfaces are very smooth, little flaws can be spotted very easily on them. It is very important to steer clear of fingerprints and scratches
- It is not for everyone. Glossy finishes look good only in modern settings and not so much in traditional ones
Now that we’ve given you the lowdown on matte v/s glossy finishes, you can make an informed choice. Don’t fall prey to false claims. Read this quick guide before you take the plunge! And yes, do not forget to tell us what you picked and why!
If you’re looking for dope on kitchen cabinets, this article on Acrylic v/s Laminate should help you.