The fifth wall or the ceiling has remained anonymous for years in India. There were days when no matter what colour you put on your walls, the ceiling would remain white. With changing times, the ceiling has got its fair share of attention, and wooden false ceilings have a major role to play in the same. Wooden false ceilings can be as classic or modern as you want them to be. You can also opt for something that stretches across the entire ceiling, or highlight just a segment of it.
If you’re considering the idea of adding some wooden accents to your false ceiling, read on! We’ve put together some inspiration to get you started.
#1: Metal magic
Nothing spells elegance quite like wood paired with warm metal accents. Stylish pendant light fixtures attached to the false ceiling highlight the dining area. Therefore, this adds a touch of shimmer to your interiors.
#2: Recessed lighting
Recessed lighting can enhance the look of your wooden ceiling accents, as seen in this tasteful lounge area. Easily installed in wooden false ceilings, these lights will illuminate your room brilliantly. Consequently, suspended chandeliers can be added to highlight each zone beautifully.
#3: LED to the rescue
LED lights embedded in the wooden false ceiling cast a soft glow in this dining area, creating a mellow and restful mood perfect for family mealtimes. When you do not want harsh lighting at home, these LED lights are your best bet.
#4: Play with dimensions
Wooden panelling over your dining area helps create a more defined space. It’s also cosy to look up to the warmth of a wooden ceiling as you share a meal.
#5: Unique lattice
Lattice-work wooden ceiling panels, paired with the right type of concealed lighting, can be a really interesting addition to any room. However, these can be custom-made in different patterns to suit your taste. Subsequently, adding this to your entrance will make the space look more imposing.
#6: Get in rafters
Wooden rafters are another way to add a note of refinement to your interiors. Therefore, you can have these cover your entire ceiling or use them to highlight only portion. Furthermore, this living room had rafters put up to set a charming traditional ambience.
#7: Ditch plain ceilings
Your wooden ceiling doesn’t have to be plain. Subsequently, you can opt for a textured one made of planks or place it in a groove, to add more visual interest.
Why should you install a wooden false ceiling?
Traditionally, these ceilings have had multiple benefits, such as:
- Absorbs sound: As wood is a porous material, it functions as a natural acoustic absorbent. You can also opt for sound-absorbing acoustic panels to control reverberation of noise in the room
- Energy saving: A wooden false ceiling reduces the amount of space that needs to be cooled down using an air conditioner, thus reducing the energy consumption. Moreover, wood is a heat insulator, so your room remains cool for longer
- Strength: If you’re planning to install lights in your false ceiling, opt for a wooden design. With this, you can install more lights without fear that the ceiling will sag
- Easy installation and removal: Of different types of false ceiling materials, wood is among the easiest to install and remove. If you are opting for wooden ceiling panels, the wooden planks can be installed and dismantled with ease
- Choice of finishes: Wooden false ceilings give you a wide choice of finishes, from glossy to matte and textured finishes. You can also choose from laminate, veneer, and other natural varnished wood
- Eco-friendly: If you’re environmentally conscious, this is a major point in favour of wooden false ceilings. Once removed, they will decay naturally, causing little damage
Why choose a wooden false ceiling over other types of ceilings?
If POP false ceilings have caught your fancy, we’re not surprised. These are available in a wider range of colours and designs. But a word of caution—POP might not be the best option if you live in a humid environment. Unlike a wooden false ceiling, your POP one can absorb water over time and sag. Moreover, POP is not as robust as wood and can be easily prone to damage. However, while wooden planks can be easily replaced, your POP false ceiling will be difficult to restore.
Wooden False Ceiling Installation
To kick-start the process of building a wooden false ceiling, build a frame that accommodates the structure planned. Mark out the desired height of your ceiling design from the floor along the walls and add wooden struts to support the structure. You can then install the wooden panels and use your choice of paints and finishes to complete the look. Remember to leave adequate space to prevent the panels from touching walls. Also make sure that there are cavities to install lights at optimal distances.
Want some more ideas to make that fifth wall look unique? Take a look at these 5 Ways to Spruce Up Your Ceiling.
Send your comments and suggestions to email@example.com