In This Article
- Italian Marble vs Indian Marble
- What Is Indian Marble?
- What Is Italian Marble?
- Popular Types of Marble
- Different Uses: Italian Marble vs Indian Marble
- Indian Marble Price in India
- Italian Marble Price in India
- Marble Price: What Are Their Laying Costs?
- How to Maintain Indian and Italian Marble?
- Things to Watch Out for
- Strength and Durability of Indian and Italian Marble
- Pros and Cons of Indian and Italian Marble
- Trending Ideas in Marble
- How Can Livspace Help You?
When it comes to adding a touch of elegance to home interiors, there’s nothing quite like marble. This regal material can instantly amp up the look of any room. However, have you ever wondered which is the better option when it comes to marble? Who wins in this age-old battle of Italian marble vs Indian marble?
Here, we will give you a comprehensive list of things to keep in mind while choosing the best marble in India for your home by comparing the difference between Italian and Indian marble.
Let’s start with the basic difference between Indian marble and Italian marble that you need to know.
Italian Marble vs Indian Marble
|Indian Marble||Italian Marble|
|Source||Rajasthan, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh |
and Madhya Pradesh
|Polishing||Polished and unpolished||One side polished|
|Softness||Comparatively hard||Very soft|
|Price||Starts at ₹70 per sq. ft.||Starts at ₹150 per sq. ft.|
|Laying||Less skilled craftsmen||Highly skilled craftsmen|
|Thickness||Available in various thicknesses||Available in 18 to 20mm slabs|
What Is Indian Marble?
Indian marble is a cost-effective choice that is available in a wide variety of colours and textures. Indian marble has a medium lustre and is a relatively harder stone. In terms of sustainability, it is the best marble for flooring in India.
What Is Italian Marble?
Italian marble varieties are widely appreciated for their high lustre and the ability to impart visual appeal to the area where they are used. They are quarried in Italy and are now easily available in India as well. These marbles are usually available in slabs.
Popular Types of Marble
Indian Marble Types
Indian marble comes in an astonishing array of colours, such as white, pink, yellow, green, red and black. Some of the best marble varieties for flooring in India include:
- Lustrous white Makrana marble (famously used in the Taj Mahal)
- High-quality white Ambaji marble from Gujarat
- The widely exported Indian green marble from Rajasthan
- White Statuario Indian marble
- Jodhpur pink marble
- Onyx marble, which gets its name from the thick bands of alternating colour
Italian Marble Types
Italian marble varieties, like their Indian counterparts, come in a variety of colours and textures, though there are a few varieties which are famed such as:
- The much-valued Statuario marble, which is characterised by its white colour shot with grey or gold veins
- Golden-hued Botticino marble that seems to be lit from within
- Light grey Carrera marble that features dispersed, fine, feathery veining
- Nero (black) Marquina and so on
Different Uses: Italian Marble vs Indian Marble
|Indian Marble||Italian Marble|
– countertops in the kitchen and bathroom
|– decorative elements on walls, flooring|
Also Read: 8 Places at Home Where You Can Use Marble
Indian Marble Price in India
Wondering about the Indian marble price? While the cost of marble varies from city to city and vendor to vendor, Indian marble price starts from as low as ₹70 per sq.ft. and goes up to ₹200 per sq.ft. For Makrana marble, India’s finest marble variety, the base rate is ₹200 per sq.ft.
Italian Marble Price in India
Wondering about Italian marble costs? Italian marble prices in India can range from ₹150 to ₹900 per sq. ft. and can sometimes be even higher.
Pro Tip: As marble prices are usually higher than the prices of granite or vitrified tiles, you can always consider these other options if the marble prices don’t suit your budget.
Marble Price: What Are Their Laying Costs?
While considering the Indian and Italian marble flooring price, you also need to look at the laying cost. The cost of laying is only a part of the total Indian or Italian marble flooring cost per sq. ft. in India.
|Laying||₹140 per sq. ft.||₹255 per sq. ft.|
|Polishing||₹59 per sq. ft.||₹106 per sq. ft.|
Laying marble involves creating a base of cement and river sand before placing the marble slabs, and is therefore a labour-intensive task.
How to Maintain Indian and Italian Marble?
Now that you know the Indian and Italian marble cost per sq. ft., you need to know how to maintain these types of marble. Here are some tips that will go a long way in keeping your marble looking as good as new:
- Sweep regularly to keep away dust and grit
- Clean with a mild detergent solution or a specially formulated marble-cleaning liquid
- Rub or mop the floors gently; never scrub
- Apply a marble sealer to create a protective barrier to prevent staining
- Do not drag heavy objects over it
- Mop up spills, especially acidic liquids like vinegar
- Both Indian marble and Italian marble lose lustre over time. Hence, you should get them polished periodically
Things to Watch Out for
Keep these things in mind while you buy marble for your home:
- Ensure that the marble slabs you buy are of the same thickness, ideally, 18 mm and not less; else they may crack easily
- Check for cracks and stains
- Look at the marble slabs along with the sample pieces to get a rough estimate and avoid wastage
- Take into consideration wastage due to breakage during transit
Strength and Durability of Indian and Italian Marble
#1: Italian marble varieties are soft but available in thicknesses from 18 to 20 mm, which makes them conducive to small hairline cracks over time. On the other hand, Indian marble is much more durable.
#2: For added reinforcement, a thin nylon sheet is used in Italian marble.
Pros and Cons of Indian and Italian Marble
|Locally available||Limited variety|
|Installation cost is low and semi-skilled laymen can work on it||Less lustre|
|It is durable, low-maintenance and stain-resistant||Less prominent grains|
|Extensive variety||Installation cost is high and skilled laymen need to work on it|
|High lustre||Porous/soft, so can stain easily|
|Grain quality is superior||High-maintenance|
Trending Ideas in Marble
If you want a luxurious home, marble is the best option for you. This grand material can make any space look opulent. When it comes to trending ideas in marble, colourful patterns are rising in popularity. More and more homeowners are opting for a pop of colour in their homes with vivid, striated and quirky marble designs.
Both Indian and Italian marble have their pros and cons, as listed above, but it’s best to choose what suits your needs. While building or renovating your home, you may have a particular finish in mind and a budget to follow. By keeping these points in mind, you can easily select the right type of marble for your house.
Wondering how our customers feel about working with Livspace? You can check out the Livspace reviews here!
Check out the Livspace modular journey:
How Can Livspace Help You?
- Our designers have experience in creating unique and stunning homes
- We have delivered over 50,000+ happy homes, some of them with beautiful marble designs
- Our 146 quality checks ensure high-quality and durable materials
If you want beautiful interiors for your home, then look no further. Book an online consultation with Livspace today.