In This Article
- What Is Interior Design?
- How Do Designers Work?
- Some Examples of Interior Designs Based on Room Types
- What are the Types of Interior Design Styles?
- Do You Need an Interior Designer?
- Why Can’t You Hire a Decorator Instead?
- What Does a Full-Fledged Process Involve?
- How Much Does Interior Design Cost?
- The Big Question: Should You Invest in Hiring an Interior Designer?
- How to Prepare for Your First Meeting With an Interior Designer?
- How Can Livspace Help You?
Getting home interiors done professionally may seem intimidating to some. However, the truth is far from it! Professional interior designing can actually make things a lot easier for you. It saves money, adds an expert touch to get personalised interior solutions and also increases the value of your home. Also, let’s face it, you’ll get a home that will be the envy of your friends. Here’s your guide to navigating the world of interior design. Let’s start with the basics!
What Is Interior Design?
From planning to creating beautiful functional spaces, interior design covers everything for your home. It combines aesthetic art with science, a reason why interior designers get their bachelor’s or master’s degrees in the subject.
While it may look easy, there’s a lot of research and planning that goes into designing interiors that are tailor-made for your home. Sure, there’s DIY and a trip down to a decor store that can help with a few things. But interior designers study the blueprint of your home and find out what’s best for the space in terms of materials, furniture, lighting and decor, and, of course, your lifestyle.
How Do Designers Work?
Since there’s a lot of technicalities involved in the process, they are trained thoroughly to design interiors that cater to your carpet size, how you move around the space, budget and style! They are the best when it comes to structural changes to maximise functionality for your home (think window treatment, efficient kitchen design or even breaking down a space-consuming wall). Interior designers also offer support throughout the execution process and oversee the construction and overall project management.
If you just purchased a home, you must read: Interiors 101: New Homeowner’s Checklist.
If you’re tired of your existing interiors and are looking to renovate and give your home a makeover, refer our guide to a hassle-free renovation.
Some Examples of Interior Designs Based on Room Types
A Living Room
Typically, a living room is designed to be bright and with layered lighting to enhance the look of the furniture in it. The design aspects most crucial to this space are the optimum seating layout and lighting strategy.
A Modular Kitchen
When it comes to modular kitchen designs, your material finishes and the placement of your individual modular units matter a lot. It can enhance your workflow in the kitchen and thereby improve your cooking experience in it.
A Dining Room
A dining room is an area that is open to experiments. You can try new convertible furniture pieces, or large dining tables depending on the amount of space in your room. You can even experiment with crockery or bar unit designs, or even pooja unit designs in this room.
A bedroom needs to be in tune with your personality or identity. If you want to enjoy it for a long time, you will need its interior to fulfil your lifestyle needs to your standards.
A Kid’s Bedroom
Some free space to grow and a creative environment to foster learning are indispensable in a kid’s bedroom. Since children have a vulnerable mind, their growth is affected by factors as simple as colours in the surroundings.
What are the Types of Interior Design Styles?
Modern Interior Design
The modern interior design style can be identified by its clean lines, natural surfaces, muted colours and the use of wood. It’s essentially minimal in nature and is achieved by removing anything that is not a necessity.
Industrial Interior Design
Industrial design relies on exposed surfaces and elements for their raw beauty. It can be identified by the use of materials such as exposed bricks, concrete and conduits in the interiors.
Indian Interior Design
The traditional Indian interior design style is known for its extensive use of solid wood in making furniture. The solid wood is always carved in vernacular designs and craftsmanship.
Bohemian Interior Design
Bohemian design style is all about chic elements. It is where fabric meets wood, meets white walls to create a cosy space. It reflects a certain youthfulness and passion that is quite attractive.
Contemporary Interior Design
Contemporary design style is an ever-evolving term that includes an interior that incorporates the latest trends. It uses a mix of original elements and aesthetics from all design styles to render raw design visions most precisely.
Scandinavian Interior Design
The Scandinavian design style owes its roots to Nordic interiors and is believed to have served as an inspiration to the modern design style. Its aesthetic principles of minimal furniture, open layouts and use of wood can also be seen in modern designs.
Do You Need an Interior Designer?
For functional and smart spaces, interior designers study your lifestyle and build spaces that are specific to you. They think about your comfort and maximum space utility as well.
- For a bit of personality: An interior designer goes the extra mile to figure out your preferences and builds interiors that reflect your personality. Light or dark colours? Minimalist or boho chic? Your home helps define you
- They know the market well: When it comes to materials, textures and space-saving tricks, interior designers are the go-to experts. They know what works best for your home based on your lifestyle
- To transform even stubborn corners: Is your house too dark? Or is it too large and filled with empty space? Interior designers have been thoroughly trained to visually alter even the most challenging of spaces
- It increases the value of your home: If you’re looking to rent out your place, a furnished home or a semi-furnished home holds a lot more value. They will equip you with furniture that can stand wear and tear
- It’s not as intimidating as you think: People believe involving an interior designer will increase their expenses. But the truth is that an interior designer works for you and builds interiors based on your budget
Also Read: Read This Before Meeting a Designer
Why Can’t You Hire a Decorator Instead?
Decorators help with only the decor features of your home, like picking up furniture or deciding on a colour combination based on your preference. They lack formal education in the subject, unlike interior designers, and that always makes the difference!
If you’re looking for a minor change in appearance, a decorator can help. But if you’re looking for structural renovation or a kitchen/wardrobe upgrade, interior designers need to be consulted. For a detailed comparison, read: Interior Designers vs Decorators Simplified.
What Does a Full-Fledged Process Involve?
Some interior designers help with just decor and some others help with just a consultation. Let’s unravel the array of tasks an interior designer is capable of handling for you.
Design & Consultation
Several homeowners are usually overwhelmed with a range of ideas they would love to include in their home. And after meeting with a designer, things get a lot simpler. This includes space planning, colour combinations, materials and designing ergonomic layouts. It’s the job of the designers to give you a unique home that fits with your style, personality and lifestyle.
This is the fun part! Since interior designers are well aware of the type of products that match your preference and current trends, they help you pick the right interiors for your home. This includes lighting pieces, beds, sofas, and everything else. In addition to this, they can find anything in the market at the best prices!
Interior designers stick by you throughout the installation and execution so that the experience is smooth for you and your family.
The process doesn’t end with the completion of the project. They also check if everything is fine after installation is complete. Also, if there are any problems, they help to rectify it with minimum hassle.
At Livspace, we provide full interior services for your home. After the initial meeting with our design team, they will give you a 3D model that can help visualise your new home. Then you can move on to choosing a modular kitchen, wardrobes, furniture, lighting pieces, false ceilings and so much more from our catalogue. We also work closely with professional service partners for flooring, plumbing and electrical changes.
We will be with you throughout installation, overseeing the project and we also make sure things are running smoothly as part of our post-installation services and take care of problems during the warranty period. Take a look at Livspace 101 for a deeper understanding.
How Much Does Interior Design Cost?
The project cost depends on the scope of the work involved. If you’re getting carpentry work for the kitchen, wardrobes and decor, it will cost more than just getting your decor done. It also takes into consideration the level of your designer’s involvement and your budget as well.
There are many ways to compute an interior designer’s charges:
- Per sq. ft.: Depending on the floor space, designers can charge per sq. ft. This can range from ₹10 to ₹100. It can shoot up to ₹3,000 if the designer includes carpentry work, flooring and other things as well
- Percentage of total cost: The interior designer’s fee could range anywhere between 6% to 15% of the overall project cost. It can increase depending on the designer’s expertise and work involved
- Markup on products: Some designers add a premium to each product in the house. For example, this could be something like charging ₹22,000 for a sofa when it was ₹20,000
- A lump sum: As the name suggests, the designer charges an amount for the project and there’s no standard guide or reference for the amount
At Livspace, the pricing is transparent and we have no hidden cost. The total cost generated is inclusive of all goods and services—from the furniture to the design and maintenance fee. We charge 8% of the project fee to compensate for the designer’s efforts and time.
The Big Question: Should You Invest in Hiring an Interior Designer?
If you lack the professional and technical expertise to carry out the mammoth task of designing your abode, we recommend you opt for designer services. It will help you:
- Prevent costly mistakes: Your designer will be aware of high-quality products that fit your budget and there are no hidden costs that sneak in at the last minute. It also adds value to your home!
- Save time: Getting interiors through several different people can be stressful, tiring and time-consuming. A designer will work efficiently to ensure everything finishes on time, thereby creating a hassle-free experience for you
- Get quality assurance: Since interior designers know how to pick the right products and services, your home will certainly have the edge in terms of quality!
How to Prepare for Your First Meeting With an Interior Designer?
It helps to do a little homework before meeting with an interior designer. Here’s what you can do:
- Bring the floor plan: This can give the designer a better visualisation of the place. Alternatively, you can also note down the room-wise dimensions
- Define the scope of work: Give them a brief of all the changes you need in your home. You don’t have to give them a complete plan, even a rough idea will do
- Tell your budget: Give your designer a range. This helps them calculate expected expenses
- Talk about your style: Colours, elements, design style—give them a brief of your preferences. This helps them design your home according to your taste
Also Read: What to Expect from a Livspace Designer Meeting.
Make Sure to Discuss These Things With Your Designer As Well!
- Ask them about their portfolio
- Indicative expenses, including fees and taxes
- An expected timeline
- Warranty, guarantee and post sales service
- Details of the interior design and execution process
- And of course, financing options
Are you looking to get Livspace interiors? Read the Livspace process that’s been explained in 8 simple steps.
How Can Livspace Help You?
We love hearing from you! Write to us with your comments and suggestions at email@example.com
What Is Your Definition of Interior Design?
Interior design is the planning, designing and execution of architectural interiors.
What Is the Role of Interior Design?
Interior design helps in improving user experience by clever management of space in your interiors.
What Are the 4 Types of Interior Design Styles?
The most common types of design styles in India are modern, contemporary, traditional and art deco.
What to Expect From Interior Designers?
You can expect your designer to design your interiors to promote your well-being, safety, and performance of your space.