In This Article
- #1: What Is Granite?
- #2: Pros and Cons of Granite Countertops for Kitchen
- #3: Types of Granite: Polished or Honed?
- #4: Granite Countertops for Kitchen Design Ideas
- #5: White Granite Kitchen Designs
- #6: Backsplash Ideas for a White Granite Kitchen
- #7: White Granite Countertops and Kitchen Maintenance
- How Can Livspace Help You?
A kitchen should be many things – comfortable, convenient, well-designed and durable. And when we talk about durability, one of the first things that come to mind is the kitchen countertop. The right kitchen top can not only make your kitchen look stunning, but also increase its longevity. If you plan on installing or redoing your countertops, then the automatic choice is granite. Granite countertops for kitchen have always been the ideal choice for Indian kitchens, and here we tell you why this popular choice will take the largest pie from the Indian kitchen countertop market for years to come.
#1: What Is Granite?
Play match with charming grey granite countertops and ash-hued cabinets that give your kitchen a sophisticated vibe. A simple, crisp white backsplash illuminates the kitchen and adds to its sheen.
We’re not going to get very scientific and bore you. But in simple terms, granite is an igneous crystalline rock that is harder than marble and has large mineral grains on its surface. Granite countertops are well-known for their durability and easy maintenance. With spills, grime and grease being a regular affair in Indian kitchens, there’s no puzzle over why granite is a top choice.
#2: Pros and Cons of Granite Countertops for Kitchen
Granite kitchen tops have taken over Indian kitchens for obvious reasons. Below, we break down why they’re the natural choice in an Indian kitchen design.
- Aesthetic: Granite countertops have a stunning visual appeal and are available in myriad hues with beautiful mineral grains running through.
- Durability: Granite countertops are strong and durable. If taken care of properly, there’s a sure-fire chance that granite countertops will last a lifetime.
- Maintenance: You can wipe a cloth over the surface and your polished granite kitchen countertop will shine like new. It doesn’t allow grime to stick and is stain-resistant.
- Heat resistance: Granite kitchen countertops are the ideal choice for kitchens as they are heat-resistant. It is derived from igneous rocks and forms over years of crystallisation of magma. Therefore, put down your hot pressure cooker or pan on your granite countertop without thinking twice.
Clean your granite kitchen countertop easily with a cloth and see it shine like you just bought it. Make sure you install it professionally, to avoid unnecessary staining.
- Cost factor: Granite countertops in kitchen can be relatively expensive, and the installation cost is also a cause for concern. However, since it’s always in demand, there’s typically never an issue with granite stocks, and therefore a slim possibility to get lighter on the pocket with increased demand.
- Installation: You should seal granite countertops for kitchen perfectly, to protect them from permanent staining. The process of installation is complex and requires expertise.
- Hard to remove: Granite countertops last forever. So, if the colour is boring, or you no longer like it, you will either have to learn to live with it or rip it apart.
#3: Types of Granite: Polished or Honed?
Add a touch of gloss to your kitchen with reflective granite countertops that have a mirror-like sheen, or go for grey-hued honed granite countertops that give your kitchen the ultimate matte finish.
Before knowing what’s the best granite for kitchen, you first need to understand the types of granite available. Unlike polished granite which is a highly reflective material, honed granite has a matte, no gloss finish that lacks the mirror-like reflection of traditional granite. The soft look of honed granite fits perfectly well into kitchens that do not want the ultra-glossy finish. The honed granite kitchen tops look aged and casual at the same time.
The decision to choose honed or polished granite entirely depends on your aesthetic. But since honed granite countertops for the kitchen wouldn’t have been polished to give out a lustrous finish, it’s more prone to staining since its pores aren’t sealed. So, if your kitchen demands a honed finish, go for it. Just remember to polish it once or twice a year. Do the water test to check if you need to seal your countertop. If your granite countertop absorbs a lot of water and stains, then that’s a sure shot indicator that it needs some sealant.
#4: Granite Countertops for Kitchen Design Ideas
If you have decided to go with granite for your kitchen countertop, there is a huge variety you can choose from. Among the most popular are white granite countertops. Here are 10 types you must see.
#4.1: Moon White Granite Countertops for Kitchen
This popular type of Indian granite has tiny specks and swirls of ivory laced with silvery grey and black.
#4.2: Bianco Antico White Granite Countertops
If you are looking for granite kitchen countertops ideas, a Bianco Antico granite kitchen top is the perfect choice. With grey, brown and white flecks, this type of countertop has a glam design.
#4.3: River White Granite Countertops
These granite countertops for kitchen have a white base with grey veins and deep red burgundy flecks.
#4.4: White Ice Granite Kitchen Tops
White ice granite kitchen tops usually have dark and blue hues that vary in intensity with clusters of shiny quartz.
#4.5: Colonial White Granite Countertops in Kitchen
The colonial white granite is a type of white granite with brown flakes and grey, blue and taupe veins.
#4.6: Kashmir White Granite Kitchen Countertops Ideas
Kashmir white granite countertops for kitchen have a white surface with cream and grey speckles and mint and blackberry garnets.
#4.7: Alaska White Granite Countertops for Kitchen
Alaska white granite countertops for kitchen have silvers, icy whites, neutrals and onyx hues.
#4.8: Delicatus White Granite Countertops
These glamorous granite countertops have dark embedded crystals and veins in shades like black, caramel and light grey.
#4.9: White Galaxy Granite Kitchen Tops
These kitchen countertops are white in colour with bluish and greenish streaks. They also have orange and chocolate garnets.
#4.10: Salinas White Granite Countertops
Milky white in colour, the Salinas white granite has clusters of onyx speckles with smoky tan and light pewter swirls.
|Moon White Granite Countertops for Kitchen||Tiny specks and swirls of ivory laced with silvery grey and black|
|Bianco Antico White Granite Countertops||Grey, brown and white flecks|
|River White Granite Countertops||White base with grey veins and deep red burgundy flecks|
|White Ice Granite Kitchen Tops||Dark and blue hues that vary in intensity with clusters of shiny quartz|
|Colonial White Granite Countertops in Kitchen||Brown flakes and grey, blue and taupe veins|
|Kashmir White Granite Kitchen Countertops Ideas||White surface with cream and grey speckles and mint and blackberry garnets|
|Alaska White Granite Countertops for Kitchen||Silvers, icy whites, neutrals and onyx hues|
|Delicatus White Granite Countertops||Dark embedded crystals and veins in shades like black, caramel and light grey|
|White Galaxy Granite Kitchen Tops||White in colour with bluish and greenish streaks and orange and chocolate garnets|
|Salinas White Granite Countertops||Clusters of onyx speckles with smoky tan and light pewter swirls|
#5: White Granite Kitchen Designs
Whoever said that you can only use granite for your kitchen countertops? Granite is a sturdy and long-lasting material, thereby making it a great choice for your kitchen cabinets as well. White granite, especially, can make your kitchen look spacious while adding some drama.
#6: Backsplash Ideas for a White Granite Kitchen
Backsplashes are a great way to amp up the look of your kitchen without spending too much. If you have your heart set on a white granite kitchen, the options are endless for your kitchen backsplash. If you want something minimal, go for a simple backsplash in neutrals like white, cream, grey or beige. On the other hand, you can even add some oomph with bright, peppy colours and quirky patterns.
#7: White Granite Countertops and Kitchen Maintenance
While maintaining white granite countertops may seem tough, especially considering Indian cooking, these easy tips and tricks will help you keep your kitchen looking brand new.
- Use microfibre cloth to dust off the surface
- Wipe the counter with a damp cloth and stone cleaner that has a neutral PH
- Do not use harsh, chemical cleaners
- Clean oil stains using flour/baking soda and dish soap
It’s time to give your kitchen the much-needed granite twist and transform the aesthetic of your Indian kitchen. When upgrading your kitchen countertops to granite versions, make sure you consider acrylic kitchen cabinets as well. This will very well get your guests talking!
Also Read: The Right Way to Clean Your Kitchen
How Can Livspace Help You?
We hope you found our ideas useful! If you want your home to be just as beautiful, then look no further. Book an online consultation with Livspace today.
Wondering how our customers feel about working with Livspace? You can check out the Livspace kitchen reviews here!
Send in your suggestions and comments at firstname.lastname@example.org